Tuesday, July 17, 2007


The kind of stuff I wonder about:

Who came up with the parody song, “Jingle Bells, Batman Smells”? Seriously, is there any guy under the age of 40 who doesn’t instantly think of “Batman Smells” whenever that song breaks out in December? I did a quick Internet search, but I couldn’t find anything on the origins of this song. It’s like it spontaneously broke out in our collective conscience several decades ago. I don't think it started on the campy T.V. show of the 60s, but I could very well be wrong. Did it appear in a Batman comic first? It sounds like something the Joker would sing. If he was drunk.

I was recently reading a book by a British author set in England and a kid in that book was singing a variation of “Jingle Bells, Batman Smells.” I find that amazing. A parody song that’s known by all English-speaking children on both sides of the Atlantic.

So, I want to know. Where did this song come from? Who started it? Don’t get me wrong, it’s brilliant in its content and keeping with the tempo of the song. I’ve just got some questions. Why Batman? Of all the people and/or things that could smell, why Batman? Why?

I’ve always been a Marvel Comics guy but all things considered, Batman is pretty badass. Even with all his badassness, I don’t think he would smell. Remember, he’s multi-millionaire Bruce Wayne by day, so I’m sure he’s got some pretty good hygiene. If you were to choose a superhero to smell, I’d go with either Aquaman and his funkalicious fish stank, or the Flash. Why Flash? Well, he’s always running, so I’m pretty sure he’s always sweating, too. One of these guys should be the one that smells. Not Batman

No comments: